Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner Overview
Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner Course Outline
Module 1: Introduction
- Why Better Business Cases?
- Case for a Business Case
- Project Success or Failure?
- Putting the Right Foot Forward
- Public Sector Delivery
- What is a Project?
- What is a Programme?
- Links to Recognised Best Practice Programmes and Project Management Methodologies
- Programme or Project?
- Types of Programme
- Alignment with Strategic Planning
- Importance of the Business Case using the Five Case Model
Module 2: Five Case Model
- Overview of the Five Case Model
- Importance of the Business Case using the Five Case Model
- Strategic Case
- Contents of the Strategic Case
- Economic Case
- Contents of the Economic Case
- Commercial Case
- Contents of the Commercial Case
- Financial Case
- Contents of the Financial Case
- Management Case
- Contents of the Management Case
Module 3: Programme and Project Business Case
- Advantages of the Programme Business Case
- Advantages of the Project Business Case
- When Should a Business Case be Developed?
- Planning for Spending Proposals
- Key Steps in Developing the Programme Business Case
- Project Business Case Development Process
Module 4: Determining the Strategic Context and Undertaking the Strategic Assessment
- Strategic Assessment
- Related Activities
- Stages of Business Case Development
- Strategic Outline Case
- Outline the Business Case
- Full Business Case
- Development of the Business Case
- Business Justification Case
- What is Programme Assurance?
- What is Project Assurance?
- Responsibility for Producing the Business Case
Module 5: Making the Case for Change
- Agree on Strategic Context
- Determine Spending Objectives, Existing Arrangements, and Business Needs
- Generic Drivers for Spend
- Determine Potential Business Scope and Service Requirements
- Determine Benefits, Risks, Constraints, and Dependencies
- Each Spending Objective
Module 6: Exploring the Preferred Way Forward
- Agree Critical Success Factors (CSFs)
- Determine Long List Options and SWOT Analysis
- Options Framework
- Using the Options Framework
- Drafting the Long List
- Recommended Preferred Way Forward
- Complete the Strategic Outline Case
Module 7: Determining Value for Money (VFM)
- Project Level Business Case
- Revisit the Short-List
- Prepare the Economic Appraisals for Short-Listed Options
- Relevant Costs for Economic Appraisals
- Estimating Benefits for the Economic Appraisals
- Valuing Costs and Benefits
- Presenting the Economic Appraisals
- Undertake Benefits Appraisal
- Undertake Risk Appraisal
- Select the Preferred Option and Undertake a Sensitivity Analysis
- Sensitivity Analysis
- Final Selection of the Preferred Option
Module 8: Preparing for the Potential Deal
- Determine Procurement Strategy
- Determine Service Streams and Required Outputs
- Outline Potential Risk Apportionment
- Outline Potential Payment Mechanisms
- Pre-Delivery Phase
- Operational Phase
- Extension Phase
- Ascertain Contractual Issues and Accountancy Treatment
Module 9: Ascertaining Affordability and Funding Requirement
- Prepare Financial Models and Financial Appraisals
- Financial Modelling
- Impacts to Consider
- Assessing Affordability
- Closing Affordability Gaps
Module 10: Planning for Successful Delivery
- Plan Programme or Project Management
- Programme Roles
- Programme Plan
- Project Plan
- Use of Specialist Advisers
- Plan Change Management and Contract Management
- Plan Benefits Realisation
- Benefits Resister
- Plan Risk Management
- Risk Register
- Plan Programme/Project Assurance and Post Project Evaluation
Module 11: Procuring the VFM Solution
- Revisit the Case for Change
- Revisit the OBC Options
- Detail Procurement Process and Evaluation of BAFOs
Module 12: Contracting for the Deal
- Set Out the Negotiated Deal and Contractual Arrangements
- Set Out the Financial Implications of the Deal
Module 13: Ensuring Successful Delivery
- Finalise Project Management Arrangements and Plans
- Finalise Change Management Arrangements and Plans
- Finalise Benefits Realisation Arrangements and Plans
- Finalise Risk Management Arrangements and Plans
- Finalise Contract Management Arrangements and Plans
- Finalise Post Project Evaluation Arrangements and Plans
- Review the Business Case: SOC, OBC, and FBC
- Steps and Actions for Preparation of Programme and Project Business Cases
Who should attend this Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner Course?
This Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner Course is beneficial for individuals who wish to learn the fundamentals of Business Case Management and how to apply the Better Business Case methodology. This training course is beneficial for these professionals:
- Business Analysts
- Project Managers
- Programme Managers
- Portfolio Managers
- Finance Professionals
- Change Managers
- Compliance Officers
Prerequisites of the Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner Course
There are no formal prerequisites for the Foundation section of the course. However, to continue to the Practitioner section of the course, candidates must successfully pass the Better Business Cases™ Foundation Examination.
Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner Course Overview
This 5-day Better Business Cases™ Foundation and Practitioner Course will enable individuals to plan, initiate, and deliver a comprehensive business case - through ensuring that the Government’s best practice guidelines are followed to elevate the probability of investment. Candidates will learn how to tailor the guidance to answer potential doubts that investors have about a business case and reduce unnecessary resource consumption through developing a thorough planning proposal. This is a combined course, during which candidates will receive training at the Better Business Cases™ Foundation level, followed by training at the Practitioner level.
Better Business Cases™ is a strategic and systematic approach to developing a business case that is comprehensive, accurate, and portrays the value of a change to prospective investors. Following the HM Treasury’s Green Book Guidance, in accordance with The Five Case Model, the course delineates the constituents that contribute to a persuasive business case, including comprehending the strategic, management, commercial, economic, and financial case, and of how to deliver such a case.
The Five Case Model, the UK government’s best practice approach, will help to establish a clear step-by-step operation to developing a business case, from making intervening decisions, to planning spending proposals. The purpose of the Better Business Cases™ Foundation element is to enable individuals to effectively work with, or as a member of, a team to develop a business case using the Five Case Model.
In addition, the Better Business Cases™ Practitioner course element enables candidates to develop a sufficient level of knowledge of the theoretical foundations of the guidance, and the ability to apply such knowledge to develop a comprehensive business case. Upon completing the Foundation and Practitioner course, a candidate will be able to start applying the model to a genuine business case development project.
On this Better Business Cases™ course, individuals will learn about:
- Justifying the requirement for the intervention - a change case
- Goal setting and creating clear objectives - what you want to achieve from the project using the investment
- Offering suggestions and considering a wide range of potential solutions - ensuring a balance of benefits, cost, and risk to ensure return on investment
- Planning, initiating, and delivering a business case proposal
The following pre-course reading will be e-mailed to you as a PDF document. Please ensure you have the right software available to read/extract a PDF file. The pre-course reading takes 8-10 hours to perform and consists of the following:
- Better Business Case® Workbook Pre-course study
- Green Book Guidance on Public Sector Business Cases Using the Five Case Model
In addition, delegates will be required to complete a MINIMUM of 1 hour of homework each evening.
Better Business Cases™ is a trademark of Her Majesty's Treasury. All rights reserved.
What's included in this Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner Training Course?
- Better Business Cases™ Foundation Examination
- Better Business Cases™ Practitioner Examination
- World-Class Training Sessions from Experienced Instructors
- Better Business Cases™ Foundation Certificate
- Better Business Cases™ Practitioner Certificate
- Digital Delegate Pack
Better Business CasesFoundation Exam Information
The Better Business Cases™ Foundation exam certifies an individual's grasp of the Better Business Cases™ methodology for business case development. based on the five case model, it ensures projects offer value for money and strategic alignment.
- Question Type: Multiple Choice
- Total Questions: 50
- Total Marks: 50 Marks
- Pass Marks: 50%, or 25/50 Marks
- Duration: 40 Minutes
- Open Book/ Closed Book: Closed Book
Better Business CasesPractitioner Exam Information
The Better Business Cases™ Practitioner exam delves into advanced Better Business Cases™ methodology, equipping learners with skills to craft and evaluate strategic, value-focused business cases.
- Question Type: Objective Testing
- Total Questions: 4 (each question is worth 20 marks)
- Total Marks: 80 Marks
- Pass Mark: 50%, or 40/80 Marks
- Duration: 2 ½ hours
- Open Book/ Closed Book: Open Book
Benefits of online exams include:
- Proven higher pass rates
- Quicker Results
- Save Travel Costs
- Sit your exam at your home, office, or work when you are ready
After completing classroom training and successfully passing your Foundation Exam, the second day of this course is a flexible exam preparation day to complete at your convenience to prepare you to take and pass your Practitioner exam online.
We provide comprehensive support during the exam process to make the experience as simple as possible. This exam can be taken at a suitable time, subject to availability; online, anywhere.
Why choose us
Ways to take this course
Experience live, interactive learning from home with The Knowledge Academy's Online Instructor-led Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner. Engage directly with expert instructors, mirroring the classroom schedule for a comprehensive learning journey. Enjoy the convenience of virtual learning without compromising on the quality of interaction.
Unlock your potential with The Knowledge Academy's Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner, accessible anytime, anywhere on any device. Enjoy 90 days of online course access, extendable upon request, and benefit from the support of our expert trainers. Elevate your skills at your own pace with our Online Self-paced sessions.
Experience the most sought-after learning style with The Knowledge Academy's Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner. Available in 490+ locations across 190+ countries, our hand-picked Classroom venues offer an invaluable human touch. Immerse yourself in a comprehensive, interactive experience with our expert-led Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner sessions.
Highly experienced trainers
Boost your skills with our expert trainers, boasting 10+ years of real-world experience, ensuring an engaging and informative training experience
State of the art training venues
We only use the highest standard of learning facilities to make sure your experience is as comfortable and distraction-free as possible
Small class sizes
Our Classroom courses with limited class sizes foster discussions and provide a personalised, interactive learning environment
Great value for money
Achieve certification without breaking the bank. Find a lower price elsewhere? We'll match it to guarantee you the best value
Streamline large-scale training requirements with The Knowledge Academy’s In-house/Onsite Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner at your business premises. Experience expert-led classroom learning from the comfort of your workplace and engage professional development.
Tailored learning experience
Leverage benefits offered from a certification that fits your unique business or project needs
Maximise your training budget
Cut unnecessary costs and focus your entire budget on what really matters, the training.
Team building opportunity
Our Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner offers a unique chance for your team to bond and engage in discussions, enriching the learning experience beyond traditional classroom settings
Monitor employees progress
The course know-how will help you track and evaluate your employees' progression and performance with relative ease
What our customers are saying
Pradeep was excellent. Good pace of delivery and explanation and responding to questions/clarifications was helpful and relevant. Good balance between content and exam technique. Good online presence and friendly personality - encouraging and patient.
Pradeep was engaging and knowledgeable.
Very knowledgeable about the course content and how to apply in practice. The trainer was well prepared and offered practical solutions as we went through the course content.
Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner FAQs
Why choose us
Best price in the industry
You won't find better value in the marketplace. If you do find a lower price, we will beat it.
Trusted & Approved
The Knowledge Academy's Better Business Cases courses are fully accredited by APMG
Many delivery methods
Flexible delivery methods are available depending on your learning style.
High quality resources
Resources are included for a comprehensive learning experience.
"Really good course and well organised. Trainer was great with a sense of humour - his experience allowed a free flowing course, structured to help you gain as much information & relevant experience whilst helping prepare you for the exam"
Joshua Davies, Thames Water
Looking for more information on Better Business Cases™?
Better Business Cases™ Foundation & Practitioner in United Kingdom
Project Benefits & Business Cases Expert Certification PackageSave upto 40%
Total without package: £8385
Package price: £4995 (Save £3390)
Project, Programme and Better Business Cases CertificationSave upto 25%
Total without package: £8385
Package price: £6295 (Save £2090)