Are you approved and what is your R.E.P provider number?
Yes, The Knowledge Academy has been reviewed and approved as a provider of project management training by the Project Management Institute (PMI®). Our R.E.P. Provider ID number is 3444
What does The Knowledge Academy provide me on the course?
4 days of classroom training, 35 PMI required contact hours. Guidance with PMP exam application process & support to maintain PDUs and extensive PMP practice test questions with unique PMP prep workbook
What is the Exam Pass Guarantee?
Our exam pass guarantee gives you confidence that we will support your learning until you pass your PMP exam. We guarantee that you will pass your PMP exam after completing our PMP Class. All we require is for you to take the exam within 30 days of completing the class. Attend all class days and complete all class assignments, including your PMP practice exams. If you do not pass the exam after the 1st attempt, we will allow you to attend the class again free of charge. Should you fail the exam on your 2nd attempt, you will be eligible to enrol in the class again, free of charge. PMP examination results must be verified to confirm re-enrolment and is subject to availability.
Are there any pre-requisites for the PMP Certification examination?
To apply for the PMP exam, the PMI requires that you have either: A university degree and at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education. or A secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent) with at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education
What is the experience of the instructor(s) delivering my course?
All of our instructors are experienced and are fully approved
Do I receive a certificate?
Does the course fee include exams?
The course fee does not include the exam as you need to apply directly to PMI to book and take your exam at a Prometric testing center
How can I pass the exam on the 5th day?
This is achievable if the customer has the required contact hours (35), e.g. taking a previous classroom/online course covering Project Management (PMI Approved) and have applied to PMI to take the exam with PMI on a Friday. On this basis the customer would book the exam to take it on the 5th day, therefore booking the PMP Exam Prep Boot Camp course with The Knowledge Academy who can offer the course on the same week.
How soon do you suggest I should take the exam after doing the course?
We recommend that you should take the exam once you feel you are fully prepared to pass the exam
Will there pre-course work to complete?
Yes, all delegates will be required to do a minimum 5 hours recommended pre course work. This consists of: Reading and studying the first three chapters of A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: PMBOK Guide, 5th Edition namely: Chapter 1 – Introduction Chapter 2 – Organizational Influences and Project Life Cycle Chapter 3 – Project Management Processes
The Knowledge Academy
The Project Management Institute (PMI) sets standards in project management and provides project managers with certification recognized around the world.
This course delivers the knowledge needed to take the PMP exam. It covers the Knowledge Areas, Process Groups, Inputs, Tools/Techniques, and Outputs contained in the PMBOK, as well as a broad spectrum of project management concepts expected of project managers in today’s demanding environments.
During this course, you will need a copy of A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge: PMBOK Guide, 5th Edition (ISBN 978-1935589679), which delegates will need to purchase separately. All delegates MUST BRING the PMBoK to the course.
In addition, you are expected to read pages 1 through 63 before the first day of class. During the four-day class, you should also expect as much as two hours of homework each evening, as determined by the instructor before the end of each day.
The training is delivered by highly experienced project management trainers, with participation by the delegates being integral to the learning process. Delegates will explore project management issues via group discussion.
The syllabus covers a wide breadth of topics, from the essential management tools required to monitor and control a project through to the wider context in which the project is being managed in terms of social and environmental issues, finance, organization, procurement, and people management.
All delegates must have a good understanding of the basic principles of project management.
To apply for the PMP exam, the PMI requires that you have either: A university degree and at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.
A secondary diploma (high school or the global equivalent) with at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.
- Understand in detail the structure and flow of the PMBOK
- Understand specific content of the PMBOK that is most likely to appear on the PMP examination
- Understand material that is “derived from” or “implied by” the PMBOK known or considered most likely to appear on the PMP exam
- Learn test-taking techniques that will increase the delegate’s chances of passing the exam on the first try
- Pass the PMP Examination.
This course is an intensive 4 day workshop resulting in a certificate for the 35 Professional Development Units (PDUs) required to apply for the PMP exam. Delegates should be advised that they will be required to undertake individual assignments in the form of homework during the course.
Why choose The Knowledge Academy?
- We have found a way to make your learning experience enjoyable.
- We are trusted by globally leading brands as a learning partner of choice, for example JP Morgan, HSBC and Sony.
- We provide pre and post course support so you never feel alone
- All of our training is hands on we use real world examples and bring them to life
- As a market leader, globally, we have an extremely high pass rate
- We are a global company and are recognised as a leading brand for professional education
- Over 90% of our delegates come back to us for further training
- As a trusted brand, we are renowned for our focus on education and ensuring YOU pass.
- We have the best instructors in the industry which is reflected in our position as the market leader
- We provide value for money and have trained over 25,000 delegates in 2011
- You ONLY get first class treatment with The Knowledge Academy
- We have some of the most luxurious course venues worldwide
Please fill in your details below and a learning advisor will be in touch to discuss any further questions you may have.
- Guidance with PMP Exam Application Process
- Extensive PMP Practice Test Questions
- Unique PMP Preparation Workbook
- Course Completion Certificate
- 35 PMI Required Contact Hours
- Teas and Coffees
- “The Knowledge Academy provided a fantastic PMP certification and delivered it in a fashion that was simple to understand.”By Pat Tran (Project Manager) from Atlanta
- “The Knowledge Academy provided high quality training for a good price.”By Melissa Craig (Project Manager) from Miami
- “The trainer was one of a kind and extremely experienced in PMP.”By Jane Allison (Sales Director) from Washington DC
- “The Knowledge Academy made learning fun”By Craig Potter (Manager) from Boston
- “The PMP certification was fun and interesting. Highly recommend.”By Donna Daniel (Project Manager) from Atlanta
- “I thought the course was very informative and well structured. I did not believe we could cover the whole syllabus in the time but we did. The interactive exercises and real life experiences from the tutors were inspiring and I really learned a lot.”By Taylor Frank (Senior Events Manager) from Washington DC
- “I've completed 3 courses with The Knowledge Academy over the past 4 years. Each one has been well delivered by people who have known their subjects very well.”By Eddie Wright (Integrated Project Manager) from New York
- “I thought the training and materials were excellent. The trainer clearly knew his stuff and explained things well.”By Kari Norton (Solutions Architect) from San Diego
- “Professionally run course.”By Garrett Schwartz (Systems Engineeer) from Seattle
- “I was very satisfied with the whole thing - right down to when I passed the exam!”By Tasha Mcdonald (Team Manager) from Chicago
- “Very positive atmosphere from the start. A really tough week was made accessible and even enjoyable. Everyone was treated as a professional in their own right and made to feel that success was quite within their reach. Thanks!”By April Bush (Digital Project Manager) from Dallas
- “I would not hesitate to recommend this course.”By Celia Barber (Senior Policy Executive) from New York
- “I found booking the course easy. All staff were friendly. The trainer was excellent and although the course was intensive the trainer spurred the class on and really got the best out of them. The sessions were interactive and everyone was encouraged to join in.”By Jason Reed (Commercial Services Manager) from Atlanta
- “I really needed the certification but couldn't do it before as the costs were too high - once I saw the offer I didn't look back and I made a great choice with you guys.”By Phelma Cordis (Project Manager) from Washington DC
- “Good course and trainer. The reading material was easy to understand and I felt I was well prepared for my exam. I thank the knowledge academy so much as I have recently passed my exam too! Good job!”By Michael Di Costa (Project Officer) from San Diego
- “Was nervous at first but the trainer made us feel so comfortable. Great course and a really good price. Really liked the NYC venue too!”By Harriet Sanders (Project Executive) from Denver
- “This course was extremely useful to me, and I will definitely be recommending it to my colleagues”By Caleb James (Strategic Lead) from Troy
- “An intense but thoroughly enjoyable course. I will definitely be booking again with The Knowledge Academy”By Anna Johnson (Business Change Manager) from Houston
- “This course was really well structured, and the trainer answered all questions confidently and demonstrated a real knowledge for the subject.”By Ted Smith (Project Manager) from Washington DC
We do not currently have a video for this topic
Foundational Concepts of the PMP Certification
The PMP certification is widely recognised around the world and more important in the US. It is used by thousands of professionals up and down the US and by many organisations when implementing a new project. The PMP certification is made up of many concepts which are important to learn for any project to be implemented. Below are the most important foundational concepts of the PMP certification.
PMI’s philosophy of project management does not disconnect the project from the organisation. Every project has a context that is heavily influenced by the type of organisation in which the project is performed. Moreover, the context of the project also involves the different roles of the different stakeholders involved. In order to be an effective project manager, you must be able to identify the different type of project stakeholders such as; the customers, the project sponsor, senior management etc. and understand their needs. You must then be able to help them all work together in order to create common and realistic goals that will then lead to a successful project.
When taking the PMP exam, you must recognise the importance of the methodology and its concepts. By taking the PMP examination you will be examined on your understanding of a project management, a stakeholder and a sponsor. You must also be able to identify the different types of organisations and to recognise a project as opposed to other types of related endeavours.
The volume of material you will receive during your PMP certification will be large and thus much of the information is very important to your chance of success as a project manager. Therefore if it vital to remain focused on the different terms within the methodology and how to apply them. Whilst memorisation of this material is not needed, a sound understanding is.
When you begin studying for your PMP certification you will come across certain terms or phrases which are vital that you learn and understand. The following terms should be learnt;
Processes are encountered on a regular basis during the PMP exam. Processes are a package of inputs, tools and outputs which are used together to do something vital within any project. Thus, the outputs from one process are often used as inputs into other processes.
Many organisations use the project methodologies that define project phases. These phases may have different names which you will learn along your way. PMI does not define what phases you use, these will be implemented by your organisation using your organisation as context.
This is probably the most important term you will learn. A project is a temporary group of related tasks which will have an ‘end date’, it will not last forever. A project will have the following characteristics;
- It is time limited – it will have a beginning and an end.
- It is unique and has not been attempted before within your organisation
- It is made up of interrelated activities/ tasks
- It is undertaken for a certain purpose and will have a specific result
By learning each of the above, you are on your way to gaining your PMP certification and changing your career in project management.