IT Service Management with System Center Service Manager (M10965) Course Outline
This course includes the following modules:
Module 1: Introduction to Configuration Management
Module 1: Service Management Overview
In this module, delegates will learn best practices and procedures in delivering effective IT Service Management and how System Centre 2016 Service Manager can be used to implement them in their organisations. They will also learn some of the key business drivers behind IT Service Management.
- Business Drivers behind IT Service Management
- Introduction to Microsoft System Centre 2016
- System Centre 2016 Service Manager Overview and Key Features
- Adopting Best Practices with Service Manager
- Aligning IT Service Management Requirements to Service Manager
Module 2: Installing System Centre 2016 Service Manager
In this module, delegates will learn about the key components and architecture of Service Manager, including the hardware and software requirements. They will also learn about the security requirements and considerations that should be taken into account before, during and after deploying Service Manager.
- System Centre 2016 Service Manager Architecture and Core Components
- Hardware, Software, and Security Requirements
- Planning and Sizing a System Centre 2016 Service Manager Deployment
- Installing System Centre 2016 Service Manager
- Installing and Configuring the Service Manager Self-Service Portal
- Overview of the Service Manager Console
- Upgrading to System Centre 2016 Service Manager
Lab: Installing System Centre 2016 Service Manager
- Installing the Service Manager Management Group
- Installing the Data Warehouse Management Group and registering the Service Manager Management Group
- Installing the Service Manager Self-Service Portal and confirming a successful installation
- Customising the Self-Service Portal
Lab: Upgrading to System Centre 2016 Service Manager
- Backing up the Service Manager 2012 R2 environment
- Upgrading Service Manager 2012 R2 to System Centre 2016 Service Manager
Module 3: Key Concepts and Features
In this module, delegates will learn many of the key features and concepts that will help them understand how to configure important functions in Service Manager.
- Overview of Management Packs
- Overview of the Service Manager CMDB
- Managing Activities
- Managing Workflows
- Managing Templates
- Security and User Roles
Lab: Configuring Service Manager for StockTrader and DinnerNow
- Create a Management Pack, Work Item Templates and Configuration Items for DinnerNow
- Create a Management Pack, Work Item Templates and Configuration Items for StockTrader
Module 4: Configuring Service Manager for Your Environment
In this module, delegates will learn some of the key configuration tasks that should be performed in Service Manager in order to customise it for their environments.
- System Centre 2016 Service Manager Initial Configuration
- Configuring Business Services
- Configuring Access for your Support Teams
- Configuring Notifications
Lab: Configuring Service Manager For Your Environment
- Configuring Service Manager Settings.
- Configuring Business Services.
- Provisioning access for the DinnerNow and StockTrader support teams.
- Configuring Notifications.
Module 5: Populating the Service Manager CMDB using Connectors
Connectors in Service Manager provide a key function in populating the Service Manager CMDB. For example, the Operations Manager CI Connector imports discovered objects such as web sites and databases into Service Manger so that they can be added to work items such as Incidents and Change Requests.
- Integrating Service Manager with Active Directory and other System Centre Components
- Integrating Service Manager with Exchange
Lab: Configuring Connectors in Service Manager
- Configure System Centre Connectors
- Configure the Exchange Connector
Module 6: Managing Incidents and Problems
In this module, delegates will learn how to differentiate an issue that occurs in the IT environment between an incident and a problem. They will also learn how to configure incidents and problems, which includes creating templates that can be used to auto-populate Incident forms.
- The Definition of an Incident and a Problem
- Managing Incidents
- Managing Problems
- Using Queues and Views with Incidents and Problems
Lab: Configuring Incident and Problem Management
- Create an Incident using the Service Manager console
- Using Incident Templates
- Configuring an Incident Event Workflow to automatically update an Incident
- Group Incidents and create a Problem Record
- Creating Queues and Views to Filter Incidents
Module 7: Managing Changes and Releases
In this module, delegates will learn how Service Manager manages changes in the IT environment by using Change Requests. This includes creating and managing Activities such as Review Activities that are used to approve or reject changes. Delegates will also learn how Release Records are used to group, schedule and develop approved changes.
- Managing Change Requests
- Managing Release Records
Lab: Configuring Change and Release Management
- Create a Change Request with Review and Dependent Activities
- Create a Release Record to manage changes
- Configuring a Release Record Workflow Rule for Notification
Module 8: Configuring and Managing the Service Catalogue
In this module, delegates will learn all aspects of Service Request fulfilment within Service Manager (with the exception of Service Level Management, which is covered in Module 10).
- The Service Catalogue, Request Offerings and Service Offerings
- Managing Service Requests and Catalogue Groups
- The Self-Service Portal
Lab: Configuring Service Requests
- Create the Contoso Request Offering
- Test the Contoso Request Offering
- Create the StockTrader Request Offering
- Test the StockTrader Request Offering
Module 9: Automating Business Processes with Orchestrator
In this module, delegates will learn how Orchestrator and Service Manager can be used to automate business processes.
- Overview of Orchestrator
- Configuring Runbooks in Orchestrator
- Configuring Integration between Orchestrator and Service Manager
- Creating a Request Offering in Service Manager to Initiate a Runbook in Orchestrator
Lab: Automating IT Processes in Service Manager
- Automating a Request Offering for Contoso
- Automating a Service Request for StockTrader
Module 10: Configuring Service Level Management
In this module, delegates will learn how Service Level Management is implemented in Service Manager.
- Configuring Service Level Management
- Viewing Service Level Agreement (SLA) Information in Service Manager
Lab: Configuring Service Level Management
- Create a Service Level Objective for an Incident SLA
- Create a Service Level Objective for a Service Request SLA
- Configure SLA Notifications
Module 11: Using Reports and Analysing Data in Service Manager
In this module, delegates will learn how to run reports in Service Manager, including how to manage and maintain the data warehouse jobs and cubes on which reports rely on. Additionally, delegates will learn how to perform advanced analytics on cube data by using Excel and SharePoint.
- Running Reports in System Centre 2016 Service Manager
- Configuring and Running Data Warehouse Jobs
- Troubleshooting Failed Data Warehouse Jobs
- Data Warehouse Cubes
Lab: Configuring Reports and Analysing Service Manager Data
- Configuring, Running, and Exporting Reports
- Creating a Custom Report
- Configuring Data Warehouse Job Schedules
- Viewing the Status of Data Warehouse Jobs
- Managing the Analysis Library
- Analysing Cube Data
Module 12: Advanced Troubleshooting and Disaster Recovery
In this module, delegates will learn some of the advanced troubleshooting techniques used to resolve problems in Service Manager. They will also learn how to perform disaster recovery for failed Service Manager components, such as the Service Manager databases.
- Performing Advanced Troubleshooting in Service Manager
- Performing Disaster Recovery in Service Manager
Lab: Performing Disaster Recovery in Service Manager
- Recovering from a failed Service Manager Management Server
- Recovering from a failed Service Manager Data Warehouse Management Server
- Recovering from a failed Service Manager database
Module 13: Creating Forms and Items in Service Manager Using the Service Manager Authoring Tool
In this final module, delegates will learn how to use the Service Manager Authoring Tool to create new and customised forms in Service Manager.
- Key Concepts in Creating and Customising Forms in the Service Manager Authoring Tool
- Creating New and Customised Forms by Using the Service Manager Authoring Tool
Lab: Creating Customised Forms by Using the Authoring Tool
- Extending the Incident Class
- Customising the Default Incident Form
- Seal the Management Pack
- Import the Management Pack and use the updated Incident form